EVERY WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you the five stories you need to know before you head out the door…
1.# EUROLEAKS: A draft Troika report has revealed exactly what the EU-IMF wants the Irish government to do as part of the final year of the bailout programme. The documents seen by TheJournal.ie show:
- The EU-IMF wants to see public sector workers work more hours for less pay in a bid to further cut back on public spending.
- The Troika wants to see cuts to some doctors’ salaries and overall cuts to the healthcare budget
- The Department of Social Protection is planning to hire private companies to find work for long-term unemployed people
- There are major concerns that new legislation to help mortgage holders in distress may not be enough
- The Irish Government was significantly more optimistic about Budget 2013 than the Troika was
2. #CRASH: A woman in her 50s has died and a man has been injured after being struck by a car on Abbey Street in Dublin’s city centre. Gardaí have arrested the driver of the car and he is being detained at Store Street Garda Station.
3. #SAVILE: Jimmy Savile sexually abused more than 200 people – the majority of them children and teenagers – across a period spanning more than 50 years, according to a major police report released today which documented the extent of the abuse by the late television presenter. The report says Savile used his celebrity status to offend although he had committed sex crimes before he became famous.
4. #POLITICAL PARTIES: New guidelines published by the Standards in Public Office Commission have significantly reduced the amount of money which can be donated to political parties and election candidates.
5. #LET IT SNOW: Finally, it’s been one of the mildest winters for a long, long time – but now it looks like there could maybe, POSSIBLY, be some snow on the way. Here’s what we know (and how to prepare for it. Just in case…).