EVERY MORNING,TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories you need to know as you kick off your day.
1. #ESB: The company’s pension fund is in a healthier condition than has been reported during the dispute between ESB and unions, the Sunday Business Post reports today with a shortfall last year of €78 million. The unions’ regularly cited figure of €1.7 billion is based on what would happen if the scheme was wound up.
2. #FLIGHTS: Services at airports in the UK and Ireland are expected to return to normal today after an air traffic control problem in the south of England caused delays and cancellations. A number of flights from Dublin to London have departed on time this morning.
3. #INVESTIGATION: Gardaí are investigating allegations by a whistleblower that a number of officers submitted fraudulent claims for overtime, subsistence and travel expenses, the Sunday Times reports.
4. #SYMPHYSIOTOMY: Survivors of symphysiotomy are expected to make a statement today after a meeting in Dublin to discuss talks with Minister Reilly and what can be expected from the proposed redress process.
5. #GILLIGAN: Gardaí believe an attempted hit on crime boss John Gilligan may have been ordered by John Cunningham – also known as ‘The Colonel’. It is believed that those responsible for the death of Eamon ‘the Don’ Dunne were involved, the Sunday World reports.
6. #JOIN THE PARTY: Fianna Fáil has been doing the rounds, attempting to lure a number of high-profile TDs, from former Fine Gael deputies like Peter Mathews to independents like Stephen Donnelly, into the party, The Irish Daily Mail reports.
7. #SPEED: Independent TD Clare Daly has called for the motorway speed limit in Ireland to be raised to 130km an hour. Transport Minister Leo Varadkar told her he has “no proposals to increase the current maximum speed limit on motorways”.
8. #MANDELA: South Africa is holding a ‘day of prayer’ today on the first day of a week of events paying tribute to Nelson Mandela. Several multi-faith services have been planned throughout the day, BBC reports.
9. #TENSION: South Korea has announced an expansion of its air defence zone that overlaps with one declared by China and covers a submerged rock disputed by the two countries, as tensions rise over territorial claims, AFP reports.