EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories you need to know as you start your day.
1. #KIEV CRISIS: A deal signed yesterday to end violence has failed to satisfy thousands of protesters who remain in Kiev’s main square and want the president to resign.
2. #ROADS: A 55-year-old woman died after being hit by a car in Co. Longford overnight. The male driver of the car was arrested at the scene in Legan Village.
3. #COURTS: The husband of murdered woman Sylvia Roche Kelly is to sue the Garda Commissioner, the Minister for Justice and the State according to the Irish Independent. The man convicted of her murder was on bail when the killing took place.
4. #BERTIE: In an interview to be broadcast this morning Cecilia Ahern, the daughter of former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, has defended her father saying that he always ‘put Ireland before himself’.
5. #COMMUTING ABROAD: A new study has found an increasingly large number of ‘mortgage refugees’ travelling abroad to work instead of emigrating.
6. #NAOMH ÉANNA: Members of a trust set up to preserve a historical CIÉ ferry are up in arms after the Government convened a meeting on the scrapping of the vessel — and didn’t invite them.
7. #RIP: 17-year-old jockey Ryan Cusack died after falling from a tractor collecteing felled trees in Limerick yesterday according to the Irish Examiner.
8. #’THE FONZE: Matteo Renzi is due to be sworn in as Italy’s youngest-ever Prime Minister later today according to BBC World News.
9. #POST NUA: Aogán O Fearghail was last night elected as the new GAA President, becoming the first Cavan man to hold the position.