EVERY DAY TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you should know with your morning cup of coffee…
1. #THINK-INS: The three main political parties are holding their annual think-ins at various locations across the country today. Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fáil meet with the Budget less than a month away.
2. #ATTACK: A pensioner has been hospitalised after he was seriously assaulted in the Coolock area of north Dublin on Saturday night. The Irish Independent reports that the 77-year-old was stabbed multiple times.
3. #ROADS: A man has died after being hit by a car in Trim, Co Meath overnight. The pedestrian was hit by a car in Castle Street just before 1am this morning.
4. #BULLYING: A total of €40,000 is being made available to schools so they can hold anti-bullying classes for parents and guardians. Up to 70 classes will be carried out using the funding.
5. #SEDATIVES: The amount of money spent by the HSE on anti-depressant and anti-psychotic drugs was up 10 per cent last year increasing from €127 million to €140 million, according to the Irish Daily Mail.
6. #CONFIDENCE: How are you feeling about the economy? Less than half of Irish investors have confidence in the country’s economic outlook. A Rabobank survey shows that investor confidence has fallen by four per cent in the last three months.
7. #AUSTRALIA: An inquiry into church and institutional child abuse has begun public hearings in Australia overnight. People there are being warned to expect widespread and ‘shocking’ allegations during the hearings.
8. #GAA: If you are one of the diaspora then you may be interested in this: The GAA is examining expanding TV coverage of games to foreign countries with North America a key target, according to the body’s director general.
9. #COSTA CONCORDIA: How do you get a ship weighing more than 114,000 tonnes upright? That’s the challenge facing engineers attempting to pull off one of the largest and most daunting salvage operations ever as they look to get the shipwrecked Costa Concordia off its side:
AP Photo/Andrew Medichini
- Over on DailyEdge.ie: Why does Justin Bieber have a script for the next Batman movie? WHY DOES HE HAVE IT? Find out in The Dredge…