EVERY MORNING, THEJOURNAL.IE brings you nine things you need to know with your morning cup of coffee.
1. #CORRIE: British actor Michael Le Vell, best known for playing Kevin in Coronation Street, has been charged with a string of sex offences, including child rape and indecent assault.
2. #MURDER: Olympian and Paralympic champion Oscar Pistorius is due in court this morning, charged with the murder of his model girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. Tributes have been paid to the 30-year-old who “loved everybody” and whose “future has been cut short”.
3. #TALKS: As relations between senior management and rank-and-file gardaí deteriorate, Commissioner Martin Callinan is to meet with the GRA, which has plans for members to “turn off the goodwill tap” from 22 February if the government refuses to budge on pay cut proposals.
4. #DOB: The Associated Newspapers group said it will consider appealing the High Court decision to award businessman Denis O’Brien €150,000 in damages in his defamation case against the Irish Daily Mail.
5. #PROM NOTES: A member of the ECB’s governing council has criticised Ireland’s promissory note swap in an interview with Bloomberg, highlighting the difficulties encountered when there is no clear line between monetary and fiscal policies.
6. #ABORTION: In some more bad news for the Enda Kenny, former taoiseach John Bruton has written about his concerns on the proposed abortion legislation in the Irish Times today. He wrote that to include the threat of suicide in legislation is “not consistent with the plain words of the Constitution”.
7. #BURGLARY: Two men have been arrested in Kildare following a break-in at a pub near Maynooth yesterday. Gardaí say the perpetrators were wearing balaclavas and carrying crowbars when they were arrested at the scene.
8. #HORSEMEAT: Fresh food has been implicated in the horsemeat scandal for the first time with Asda taking Greencore products off its shelf after one of its beef products test positive for traces of equine DNA. Greencore’s share price has dropped 19.8 per cent this morning.
9. #METEORS: A meteor shower sparked panic in central Russia overnight as the hurtling space debris exploded in the air, blew out windows and left more than 250 people injured.
YouTube: fed potapow