EVERY DAY, TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you need to know with your morning cup of coffee.
1. #ENGELA: Taoiseach Enda Kenny is in Berlin today to hold talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel with Ireland’s EU presidency up for discussion. However the issue of legacy bank debt is also likely to be raised as the Taoiseach does his rounds of the EU leaders in the run up to Ireland’s presidency of the EU which begins on 1 January.
2. #HALLOWEEN: Emergency services had their vehicles stoned in an ambush that was purposely set up in the Spencer Dock area of Dublin last night. Over 1,500 calls were dealt with by the fire service with it attending around 500 incidents in the capital and 11 other counties as people celebrated Halloween.
3. #GALWAY: In another Halloween night incident a man in his 20s is in a critical condition in hospital in Galway after his costume caught fire in a nightclub in the city. Separately a man in his 60s has died after he was hit by a car in Galway yesterday evening.
4. #SANDY: The clean-up from superstorm Sandy continues today as authorities look to restore power and services in large parts of the east coast of the US. It is now reported that more than 60 people have died following the storm earlier this week. New York’s three main airports have reopened and flights are operating on a limited basis as are subways services in the city.
5. #US 2012: As New York and other cities look to return to normal, campaigning in the US presidential election is likely to resume today with just days to go until America decides. President Barack Obama will be in Nevada, Colorado and Wisconsin today while his Republican challenger Mitt Romney has continued to hold rallies in recent days and will be at a number of events in Virginia today.
6. #QUINN: Bankrupt former billionaire Seán Quinn is back in the courts today with the High Court set to rule on whether or not he should be sent to jail for being in breach of court orders not to interfere with €500 million in assets that are being sought by the former Anglo Irish Bank. The Irish Independent reports that medical reports are likely to be a feature of today’s hearing. Quinn has previously had two heart operations.
7. #ANGLO: A puppet that was to portray the former boss of Anglo Irish Bank, Seán FitzPatrick, has had to be written out of the upcoming Anglo: The Musical after lawyers intervened, the Irish Times reports. Simon Carswell writes that producers have had to write the character out of the show after being contacted by the Director of Public Prosecutions. FitzPatrick (the real one, not the puppet) faces criminal proceedings next year.
8. #CHRISTMAS PAIN: Halloween is over so it’s time to look forward to Christmas, right? Well you could be in for a world of pain because researchers have concluded that the thought of adding up the cost of presents, decorations and food could be enough to cause people genuine physical pain, The Telegraph reports.
9. #NOVEMBER: But forget about Christmas for the time being because it’s November and that means Wyclef Jean is back, which is great news. It’s also a chance for the male population to give ‘Movember’ a bash and they might draw inspiration from the 30 best sporting moustaches that have been compiled by our colleagues at TheScore.ie.
The Dredge: Lindsay Lohan tweets about Hitler. Get all the latest celebrity dirt on the Daily Edge >