EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories, a little before nine, you need to know with your morning coffee.
1. #RESIGNATION Today’s Sunday World contains the story that led TD Patrick Nulty to resign unexpectedly last night. It details inappropriate messages sent to a teenage girl and to other women, some of which were sent by Nulty from inside Leinster House. Nulty has admitted sending messages while under the influence of alcohol.
2. #MALAYSIA A pallet and belts have been spotted in the Indian ocean by Australian aircraft hunting for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. The search, which will involve four military and four civilian aircraft, is to return to the area to try and zero in on the objects again.
3. #MADRID An anti-austerity protest turned violent in Madrid yesterday evening, after tens of thousands of people descended on the city at the end of a “march for dignity” against the state of the country’s economy. After youths smashed bank windows, police fired rubber bullets.
4. #SEARCH The search is ongoing for a missing Co Armagh fisherman on Lough Ree. The Sunday World says that a second member of the trio – who were plunged into the water when their boat capsized – has not been told about the tragic death of his other friend who was rescued.
5. #EURO The government drew up contingency plans to replace the Euro amid fears it could collapse, the Sunday Independent says. The 2011 plans for a possible currency replacement were drawn up in secret by two teams from the Central Bank and Department of Finance.
6. #PULSE A Cork mother, who is a member of the Travelling community, has spoken of her shock over discovering that gardaí put the details of her two young children into the PULSE system after they went to have passport forms signed. She told the Sunday Times that she feels her family’s privacy has been breached.
7. #PRO LIFE The Standards in Public Office Commission has ended its investigation into a trip that 11 TDs and Senators took to the US with a pro-life group. The Sunday Times says this was because the participants said the trip was educational.
8. #MUDSLIDE Three people have been killed and three critically injured in a landslide in Washington State in the USA. CNN says that people were heard crying out for help from underneath debris. One of the rescued was a six-month-old boy.
9. #EBOLA An Ebola outbreak has struck Guinea, with 34 people dying from the highly contagious deadly disease. There is no treatment or vaccine available for the disease, which kills between 25 and 90 per cent of those who fall sick with it.