EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories, a little before nine, you need to know with your morning coffee.
1.#ALAN SHATTER The Dáil will begin debating a Fianna Fáil motion of no confidence in Justice Minister Alan Shatter today. This is the second such motion he has faced in less than a year. We have the nine key questions facing the minister ahead of the motion.
2. #MH370 Australia has warned that the search for the missing Malaysian jet could take a “long time”. It has been described as a challenging search and rescue operation, and a black box locator is currently on the way to the Indian Ocean.
3. #HOUSING The average asking price for a house in Ireland is now €177,000, according to two separate housing reports. This is the first time since 2007 that the average asking price for a house outside Dublin has seen a quarterly increase.
4. #EXPLOSION Gardaí are to quiz a man in the Mater Hospital over the Sunday night explosion on Dublin’s Long Lane. The man was admitted suffering wounds and the Irish Independent says gardaí believe the incident was the work of a crime gang.
5. #ROAD DEATHS Road deaths are on the increase in Ireland, going up by 19 per cent between 2012 and 2013. This bucks the recent trend of falling road deaths, and also means Ireland has higher road deaths than other EU countries.
6. #COURTS Five protesters who were arrested yesterday after paint was thrown at the Department of Justice have been released from custody and will appear in court later this month. White paint was thrown at the building during a protest organised bythe Dublin Says No group.
7. #IAN BAILEY The State has known for at least a decade that phone calls as part of the investigation into the death of Sophie Toscan du Plantier were taped. The Irish Independent says that in 2000, garda statements on the recording of calls to witnesses were sent to the DPP.
8. #ALCOHOL Four out of five mothers-to-be admit drinking, says a new study from the National Maternity Hospital. Experts at three Irish maternity hospitals say that it is in a child’s best interests for a pregnant woman not to drink alcohol when pregnant.
9. #ASIANA South Korea’s Asiana Airlines has admitted for the first time that pilot error was the “probable cause” of last year’s San Francisco crash in which three people died. But it also cited other factors, including technical issues with the plane’s auto-throttle system.