This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 15 °C Tuesday 25 September, 2018
Advertisement

Judge defers bail hearing for 13-year-old boy accused of murdering Ana Kriegel

The teenager was accompanied to the proceedings by his parents.

Ana Kriegel
Ana Kriegel
Image: Pic released by Kriegel family

A HIGH COURT judge will deliver his ruling on Friday on whether bail will be granted to a 13-year-old boy accused of the murder of Kildare schoolgirl Ana Kriegel.

The boy, who cannot be named because he is under 18, has been charged with the murder of 14-year-old Anastasia Kriegel at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, Dublin on 14 May, contrary to common law.

Anastasia, known as Ana, who was adopted from Russia at the age of two, left her home in Leixlip, Co. Kildare at about 5pm on 14 May. However, she did not return.

Her parents were unable to contact her phone and alerted gardai that evening. Her body was found at the disused farmhouse three days later.

The teen had been remanded in custody on 25 May by the Dublin Children’s Court, which does not have power to adjudicate on the issue of bail in murder cases.

However, he has launched a bail application at the High Court sitting in Cloverhill which came before Mr Justice Robert Eager today.

The teenager was accompanied to the proceedings by his parents, his grandfather and barrister Niall Nolan and a solicitor. He was allowed sit with his family during the lengthy proceedings but did not address the court.

Garda Inspector Mark O’Neill who is leading the investigation objected to bail.

Strict reporting restrictions were imposed by the judge.

At the end of the lengthy hearing, Mr Justice Eager told counsel for the State Aideen Collard BL and the boy’s lawyers that he was reserving judgement in the matter.

He will give his decision on Friday on whether or not the teen will be admitted to bail pending trial.

The teenager has faced three other hearings already in the Children’s Court which last dealt with his case on Monday when an order was made remanding him in continuing custody at Oberstown Detention Centre to appear again on 23 July next for directions from the Director Public Prosecutions (DPP).

At the boy’s first hearing on 26 May, Garda Inspector O’Neill told the court: “In reply to that charge after caution, he had nothing to say.”

Legal aid had been granted after the court was told the the teen’s age and that he was a schoolchild.

There has been no indication yet as to how he intends to plead.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next:

COMMENTS

    Trending Tags