TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 13 °C Tuesday 23 January, 2018
Advertisement

Dog saves family from house fire

Four people in Belfast were rescued thanks to their barking pet.

File photo
File photo
Image: Shutterstock

A BARKING DOG has saved a family from a fire in Belfast.

UTV reports that the dog woke up its family by barking when smoke started to engulf the house.

Four people were trapped upstairs in the house in the Campsie Park area of Dundonald when the fire started in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters were alerted and made their way into the home to bring the family to safety.

Fire Service station commander Michael Harkin said the family escaped more serious injuries thanks to their dog.

He told the Belfast Telegraph: “In this case had the family dog not alerted them to the fire we could have been looking at something much worse.”

This would have been very frightening for the family with the smoke and the heat – particularly the smoke would have been very hot.

Harkin also stressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm in every house.

Originally published: 10.47am

Read: Elderly woman rescued from burning building in Dublin

Read: Blaze at army base in Co Down engulfs cars and garages

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (19)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel

Trending Tags