DAVID DRUMM WAS expected to volunteer to return to Ireland as he was due to appear in a US court.
However, his hearing was cancelled due to the snowstorms in Boston.
A statement on the Massachusetts Judicial Branch website said the decision was taken to close courthouses in the interest of public safety.
A new date has yet to be announced.
The former head of Anglo Irish Bank faces 33 charges here relating to transactions while he was chief of the now-defunct bank.
He remains in custody in Boston following his arrest over an extradition order to Ireland.
Speaking last week, his brother said Drumm had offered to return here if he is guaranteed the State will not oppose bail while he awaits trial.
He has written to the DPP, offering to adhere to strict bail conditions, including wearing an electronic tag, handing over his passport and signing on daily at a garda station.
It’s understood the DPP has not acceded to the request.
The extradition hearing had been set for 1 March.
US authorities and the gardaí will arrange his journey if, as expected, he agrees to return to Ireland at today’s hearing.
In an interview from prison with Tom Lyons of the Sunday Business Post, Drumm denied that he had “fled Ireland”, adding that he was “not a fugitive”.
He also said that he finds it difficult to think that “anyone would accept that one person was to blame for the difficulties Ireland experienced”.
Comments are closed as legal proceedings are under way.