Customs House on the quays of the River Liffey in Dublin today (Image: Ken Reid).
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps…
THINGS WE LEARNED
#RELEASE: Jon Venables, one of the two people convicted of the murder of toddler James Bulger in 1993, is to be released, UK authorities said today. Venables had been serving a sentence for possession of child pornography while on parole in 2010.
#DISTRESSED PROPERTY: A group of protesters today forced the cancellation of a distressed property auction in Dublin, with 121 properties due to go under the hammer. Jerry Beades, a property developer being pursued by Ulster Bank for €3.5 million arising from unpaid loans, was among the group.
#MISSING: British police believe that Madeleine McCann may still be alive, issuing an update today with detailed new findings and 33 people of interest.
#IT COULD BE YOU: Finally, the Irish winner of the €93 million EuroMillions jackpot has claimed their prize. The anonymous winner has now become the country’s 96th richest person.
#SEANAD: There was a lot of confusion in the Seanad today as Senators voted on amendments to the Constitution that would abolish… the Seanad.
#RIP: Singer and actress Bernie Nolan has passed away today, after a three-year battle with cancer. Nolan was first diagnosed with the illness in 2010 but last year she was told it had spread to her bones, brain, lungs and liver.
Chinese singer Li Yugang performs and wears a creation by Chinese fashion designer Lawrence Xu during her Women’s Fall Winter 2013 haute couture fashion collection in Paris, France (Jacques Brinon/AP/PA).
THINGS WE LOVED
- These building which have all been shortlisted for the World Architecture Festival Awards. We’re not sure how practical some of them are, but they’re cool nonetheless.
- It’s the 4th of July so today most people took a break from trash-talking the US. Here are 9 reasons Ireland should be deeply grateful to America…
- This music video shot in Kilkenny featuring drag queens, open air drinking and bumper cars. The song by Sounds of System Breakdown is pretty catchy too:
THINGS WE SHARED
- This gas Tumblr of Andy Murray squeezing toothpaste.
- Another music video, this time from former TD Paul Gogarty. Warning: There’s dancing.
- This massive puppy…(via Reddit). Imagine the epic snuggles.