She’s watching you… Supreme Overlord and Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel during a news conference with the Prime Minister of Slovakia today. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiben)
THESE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#CENTRA: Well, that was quick. Centra has apologised for its controversial promotional leaflet which advertised cheap beer for sale as part of its ‘Children’s Allowance Day Deals’ in some shops. The leaflet has now been withdrawn after heavy criticism from a number of groups.
#EXPENSES: The Oireachtas is taking legal advice over a number of renegade TDs who argue that it was ok for them to use travel allowances to travel around the country to attend meetings about the household charge.
#HOMOPHOBIA: Labour TD Aodhán Ó Ríordáin has said he was ‘taken aback’ by a homophobic email he received from a member of the public who criticised him for campaigning for same-sex marriage. Ó Riordáin said he published the letter on his website to make the public aware of the kind of communications that public representatives receive.
#PEACE PROCESS: Members of the Orange Order would like to hold a parade through the streets of Dublin, one of the most senior figures in the organisation has told the Seanad.
#MARKETS: Ireland is dipping its toe back into international markets with an announcement from the National Treasury Management Agency that it will auction three-month treasury bills on Thursday. The NTMA hopes to raise €500 million through the sale.
#NOM NOM NOM: Travel website Trip Advisor has compiled its list of Dublin’s 25 best restaurants, as rated by people who have eaten in them. Did your favourite make the list?
THINGS WE LOVED
- You may have heard about the ferocious wildfires which are blazing across several states in America. Two people have died and almost 40,000 people have had to evacuate their homes because of the blaze. Boston.com has put together this incredible gallery showing the devastation the fires have caused. Worth a look if you have a couple of minutes.
- This map of the world shows where all the Disney cartoons took place over the years.
- Adding to the many, many photographs that already exist of the Taoiseach smiling happily with random bunches of children, here he is launching a series of events to commemorate the 50th anniversary of JFK’s visit to New Ross. Aw.
(Photo: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland)
THINGS WE SHARED
- It’s filthy, it’s hilarious, and it’s been the top trend across Ireland for most of today. #Irishshadesofgrey has provided much hilarity as tweeters have put together 140-character parodies of the erotic novel. Some of the best so far:
- And hey, since we’re on the subject of mommy porn – sorry, we’ll never use that phrase again, we promise – , here’s a video of Saturday Night Live cast members showing what all mothers want for Mother’s Day: 50 Shades of Grey and some privacy…
(Video via fashiolover/YouTube)