Iona Theobald from Horsham Gymnastics Club competes in the WAG Senior’s during the British Championships at the Echo Arena, Liverpool. Pic: Peter Byrne/PA Wire
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
- Russian billionaire Boris Berezovsky has been found dead at his home in southeast England. Mystery surrounds the death of the staunch critic of Russian president Vladimir Putin who had previously survived numerous assassination attempts.
- Reports from Cyprus this evening indicate that a 20 per cent tax will be placed on bank deposits over €100,000 at the Bank of Cyprus with a 4 per cent levy on deposits at other banks. Earlier, an influential ally of German chancellor Angela Merkel told TheJournal.ie that the situation in debt-stricken Cyprus was a ‘mess’ which had been ‘underestimated’ by European authorities.
- A single mother’s teenage son received a letter saying he was liable for the property tax despite her being the sole owner of her home for nearly 25 years. The Dublin mother’s story is just one of many cases where children are said to be receiving property tax letters that should be addressed to their parents.
- Support for the two main opposition parties has fallen in the latest Red C poll to be published in the Sunday Business Post tomorrow. The poll also shows a small jump in support for the Labour Party.
- Pope met Pope in what was one of the more unusual and historic meetings in Rome today as Pope Francis met his predecessor Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI at Castel Gandolfo for prayer and chat.
- There were some historic votes at the GAA Congress in Derry today as delegates passed motions to introduce Hawk Eye technology, something known as the ‘black card’ and to use GAA grounds for Ireland’s Rugby World Cup bid. TheScore.ie explains all.
THINGS WE LOVED
- These 23 insane things that you should know about snack foods, as compiled by BuzzFeed.
- These 11 mesmerising informericals.
- This photo of Enda Kenny giving a constituent of Meath East a big hug as he canvassed for Fine Gael ahead of Wednesday’s by-election. Plenty more pictures from the campaign trail here.
Pic: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland
THINGS WE SHARED
- This incredible story from The Guardian about the dwarves of Auschwitz.
- This sad story from the New York Times of a man who was freed from prison after 23 years serving for a murder he did not commit but who subsequently had a massive heart attack yesterday evening.
- This incredible video of a great white shark getting his head into a cage. Fortunately the cage’s occupants avoided any injury (warning: some foul language):
YouTube: Bryan Plummer