French Breitling Jet Team comprising of 7 Aero L-39 Albatross planes fly in formation during their Southeast Asian Tour aerobatics showcase in Singapore (Image: Wong Maye-E/AP/Press Association Images).
HERE ARE ALL the things we learned, loved and shared today.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#INVESTIGATION: The body of a man in his 40s has been discovered at a house in Kilkenny. Gardaí said they will not speak about the cause of death for “operational reasons” however RTÉ reported that they are treating the death as suspicious.
#MAGDALENES: The youngest Magdalene Laundries survivor has spoken out against comments by two nuns who defended the institutions in an interview that aired last night. Maureen Sullivan of the Magdalene Survivors Together Group told TheJournal.ie that the nuns are “stopping the women from healing”.
#MORTGAGES: Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty today released an AIB document showing that the bank is asking borrowers in the buy-to-let market to sign a non-disclosure agreement when negotiating mortgage restructuring. The TD said the agreement, which request borrowers refrain from telling third parties anything about their negotiations, including that they are happening, is “sneaky”.
#THIRD LEVEL: Figures released by the CAO today have shown that science, agriculture and business have proved most popular among applicants this year while teaching degrees have seen a decrease in applications. There has also been a drop in the overall number of applicants with Level 8 applicants falling by 1.7 per cent and level 7/6 decreasing by 6.8 per cent.
#BALLYMUN: Dublin City Council body Ballymun Generation Limited has issued NAMA with an ultimatum, giving the agency 30 days to outline plans for Ballymun Shopping Centre before it makes its own plans for retail facilities. The move could see the body selling the adjacent property that it owns which could see the NAMA-owned centre decrease significantly in value.
#6 NATIONS: After a tense match against France, Ireland drew 13 all in the 6 Nations game at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin. If you missed the action, take a look at TheScore.ie’s liveblog and catch yourself up.
Just another tourist enjoying Dublin’s sights… (Image: @Gaelgory) See more images from Dublin City Council’s Twitpic competition here.
THINGS WE LOVED
- These amazing photographs taken by a Lonely Planet photographer in Iran. He asked users on Reddit to help him come up with some “catchy titles”.
- These seriously helpful tips on storytelling for writers from Pixar story artist Emma Coates.
- This cheery video that tells us that we’re all basically programmed to die. It is actually pretty interesting once you get over the morbidity of it all.
THINGS WE SHARED
- How well do you know your fonts? Buzzfeed’s quiz will put that to the test. It’s harder than you think…
- Sonic the Hedgehog, Earthworm Jim, Ryu – which one of these video game characters did you most want to be when you grew up?
- This video of a man giving it socks at a dance workout session in a holiday resort. It’s mesmerising.