A man emerges through a window on a wall on the Arabia Sea coast during monsoon rains in Mumbai, India today. The monsoon rains which usually hit India from June to September are crucial for farmers whose crops feed hundreds of millions of people. (AP Photo/Rafiq Maqbool)
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#SHOOTING DEATHS: A man in his 30s was shot dead in Clongriffin in Dublin this afternoon in an incident in which another man was shot in the leg. Also this afternoon, Limerick man Robert Sheenan, 21, died in hospital – he was shot outside a wedding at Bunratty, Co Clare early on Sunday morning.
#MISSING MEMORY (STICKS): The High Court hearing of Quinn family affairs today heard that the receiver for the family’s assets was concerned about their delay in providing documents regarding assets. RTÉ reports that some were held on memory sticks which were said to have been stolen from the Quinn family three days after they were ordered to disclose them.
#TRAGIC: The body of 8-year-old Anthony Ward was found in his home in Charleville, Co Cork this morning, the day he was due to start back to school. His mother Diane is being treated in hospital and gardai say it was a “tragic incident”.
#IVAN YATES: Is the former politician, bookie and Newstalk presenter being “harrassed and intimidated” by AIB? No, says the bank, just… no.
#JAMES REILLY: Is the politician, doctor and Health Minister being subjected to motions of no confidence by Opposition parties? Yes. And, yes. One bit of good news for Reilly, however, he isn’t the TD with the poorest voting record in the Dáil.
THINGS WE LOVED
- This picture looks like it’s in black and white… but it’s not. It is, in fact, a portrait taken today of a rare white Indian tiger cub sitting at the feet of its mother Surya Bara at a zoo in the city of Liberec, Czech Republic. Doesn’t Mum look proud? (Image: AP Photo/Petr David Josek)
- The following video has a lovely lady showing us how to make beer on the go from “a nearly waterless beer concentrate” in easy-to-carry sachets and a reusable fizz-making bottle. It’s a bit late for Electric Picnic though, and the next one… it won’t be ready for sale until autumn 2013. (Hat-tip: LaughingSquid.com)
- Dallas is back tonight on TV3 at 10pm after a two-decade absence. If you don’t remember the 1980s, carry on about your normal business.
THINGS WE SHARED
- A little update on something that is being shared widely by Irish social media users today – that the future of the Reserve Defence Forces is in doubt. We took the cue and have been asking some questions here…
- Is Instagram a haven for porn? This tech blog by Willard Foxton in The Telegraph suggests that it is.
- This strange-looking picture has been shared tens of thousands of times through ecolutionist’s Facebook page in the past fortnight. What is it? Sand, as seen under a 250x microscope. Wow.