American Tanner Gers competes in the men’s long jump F11 at the London Paralympics in London. This was his first time competing, having lost his sight in 2004 at the age of 21. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#TRAGIC: A woman has been arrested over the death of Anthony Ward. The news comes after a preliminary postmortem had shown that the 8-year-old had died of asphyxia. The HSE have said that they will undertake a “comprehensive review of its involvement” with the Ward family.
#HSE CUTS: The protest by the newly formed Leaders Alliance group is set to continue into the night, as they continue to demonstrate against the €130 million cut to healthcare which is set to impact some front line services.
#GAS TO INCREASE: Bord Gáis Energy have today announced that its domestic customers are set to see their gas bills increase by 8.5 per cent from 1 October. This follows an increase of 22 per cent last year.
#COELIACS: The Coeliac Society are “seeking clarification” about cuts to the gluten-free product allowance after today saying that they hadn’t been informed by the HSE about the cuts. Ireland has one of the highest incidences of the disease in the world, with one in 100 suffering from it.
#SILLY SEASON: It’s over, apparently. So said Taoiseach Enda Kenny today. In place of this, Kenny said that government was set to get down to some “real work,” before adding that Fianna Fáil had a “hard neck to tell anybody about health,” in response to the party’s intention to table a motion of no confidence in the Minister for Health, Dr James Reilly.
THINGS WE LOVED
- Its Facebook page may have a rude title, but the Condescending Corporate Brand Page makes up for it in its content, making a mockery of the way that some corporate pages fail in their blatant attempts to get people to like them.
- Murray! When does a three card trick become a four card trick? When a clever child who isn’t easily fooled becomes involved, that’s when.
THINGS WE SHARED
- How do you know you’re Irish? The Daily Edge has a video that should help you out. How many resonate with you?
- Yesterday we reported that the actor Michael Clarke Duncan had died. Today The Guardian took a look back at some of his work.
- Comedian PJ Gallagher wants to help find fishy. Fishy is a skateboard, by the way. Your reward? A ‘rare and precious gift’, according to this missing skateboard sign.