EACH DAY, TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you should know with your morning cup of coffee.
2. #FIRE: Fourteen people were rescued overnight from a house fire in Cabra, Dublin. A number of people were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but no one was taken to hospital, according to RTÉ News.
3. #FLOODING: Thundery downpours caused flood damage to a number of homes and businesses in Dublin and Midleton, Co Cork overnight. The roofs of the Mater Hospital in Dublin and Clery’s Department Store on O’Connell Street were damaged, while a clean-up operation is underway in Cork. Some rail services were also affected by the bad weather.
4. #WARREN BUFFETT: US multi-billionaire Warren Buffett has signed a €700 million deal with health insurer VHI. The Irish Independent are reporting this morning that the deal with state-owned VHI will save taxpayers €90 million.
5. #PROSTITUTE: A Polish prostitute is to face trial after she had sex with clients knowing she was HIV-positive, according to The Irish Sun. The 28-year-old was operating around the time of Euro 2012, and a Dublin doctor is now advising fans who maybe at risk to get a medical check-up.
6. #CRUMLIN: The number of children believed to have been affected by a contamination scare at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital in Crumlin has been revised downwards from 18 to seven. All but one family has been contacted and apologised to, according to RTÉ’s Morning Ireland.
7. #GREECE: Greece will receive a €2.5 billion payment from its EU-IMF bailout programme next week, if Athens delivers on one last task. The Greek government has delivered on all but one pre-agreed task, and faces a 24-hour deadline to meet its commitments.
8. #ASSANGE: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has launched his political party to contest Australian elections this year. Assange, the Australian founder of the whistleblowing website, said the WikiLeaks Party would field seven candidates for upper house Senate seats in the states of New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia.
- Over on DailyEdge.ie: Kanye and Kim spent €600k on a golden jacks… The Dredge