File photo

Source: Odua Images via Shutterstock

Burrito and Indian restaurants among food outlets served with closure orders last month

July has seen the highest number of closure orders so far this year.
41,704
25

This story was updated at 8pm on 13 August

NINE CLOSURE ORDERS were served to businesses across the country last month for breaching food safety rules.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said that nine closure orders were served on food businesses during the month of July for breaches of food safety legislation, pursuant to the FSAI Act, 1998.

Such orders can be full or partial and they can be applied temporarily.

The nine closure orders were served to:

  • Punjab Pantry (restaurant/café), 39 Richmond Street South, Dublin 2
  • Hartley’s (restaurant/café), (closed area – basement dry goods store and cleaning store only), 1 Harbour Road, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin
  • Zam Zam Kebab House (restaurant/café), 16 Mallin Street, Wexford
  • Moo’s Burrito (restaurant/café), 62 George’s Street Upper, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin
  • Costa Coffee (café), Unit 1 Longford Retail Park, Longford
  • Tesco (closed area – deli, bakery and loose fruit and vegetable areas), Ballyfermot Road, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
  • Weeping Thaiger (restaurant/café), New Town Centre, Naas, Kildare
  • Aroma Chinese, 72 St Laurance’s Park, Stillorgan, Dublin
  • Tasty Spice (takeaway), Main Street, Abbeyleix, Laois

No prohibition orders were served in July.

The basement area of Harley’s was closed temporarily and the business was fully open again the following day.

Commenting on the enforcement orders served in July, Dr Pamela Byrne, FSAI chief executive said that all food business operators must take their legal responsibility seriously to ensure they protect the health of consumers by strictly following food safety and hygiene laws.

“It is very disappointing to find that July is the highest month so far this year for closure orders needing to be served on food businesses.

Each enforcement order sends a clear message to food businesses disregarding important food safety standards. There is absolutely no excuse for negligent practices.

“Food businesses must recognise that they are legally bound to make sure that the food they serve is safe to eat.”

The management of Harley’s provided a statement to TheJournal.ie regarding the temporary closure of their business.

“On Tuesday 25 July 2017, incomplete builders’ works to a basement cleaner’s store resulted in a partial closure order being issued. The restaurant, kitchen, food preparation and all public areas were completely unaffected and remained open for business during this time.

“The order lasted 18 hours while the remedial repairs were completed.

“Harley’s wish to confirm that the health and safety of their customers and staff is of paramount importance and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

More information can be read on the FSAI’s website.

Read: What does a ‘closure order’ mean for a restaurant?

More: Thai and Chinese restaurants among food outlets served with closure orders last month