This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Monday 15 October, 2018
Advertisement

Fourfold increase in food safety enforcement orders in July

The Food Safety Authority said it will not hold back in taking action against businesses that fail to comply with food safety legislation.

Image: Craig Lassig/AP/Press Association Images

THE FOOD SAFETY Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has said that twelve closure orders and one prohibition order were served on food businesses last month. This made July one of the highest months in ten years for enforcement orders issued.

Eight closure orders were issued under the FSAI Act 1998 and four were issued under EC (General Food Law) regulations on the control of foodstuffs.

The closure orders were issued to:

  • Daniel’s take-away, 32 Strand Street, Kanturk, Cork
  • KK Kitchen, Unit 44, Coolmine Industrial Estate, Dublin 15
  • Rathnew Chinese Take-Away, Rockville House, Main Street, Rathnew, Wicklow
  • Whelan’s Bar (closure of kitchen and food storage area only),14 Denmark Street, Limerick
  • Rosie O’Gradys public house (closure of kitchen area), Main Street, Borris In Ossory, Laois
  • Kebab King take-away, Main Street, Millstreet, Cork
  • Zaika restaurant, 37 Stephen Street Lower, Dublin 2
  • Cromane Mussels (trading as Skellig Seafoods), Stookisland, Cromane, Killorglin, Kerry
  • Royal China restaurant, 2 Bank Place, Railway Street, Portlaoise, Laois
  • Cafe Hoggar, Norseman Court, Manor Street, Dublin 7
  • New Jasmine House restaurant, Aiden Street, Kiltimagh, Mayo
  • Cafe Stop (under appeal) (partial closure which applies to seated restaurant and specific kitchen activities), Main Street., Miltown Malbay, Clare

Professor Alan Reilly, Chief Executive of the FSAI said the increase is “extremely disappointing and serves as a stark reminder that there continues to be food business operators who put consumers’ health at risk by not complying with their legal obligations for food safety and hygiene”.

“Food safety business operators must recognise that the legal onus is on them to be responsible and ensure that the food they serve is safe to eat,” he said. “We are re-emphasising to all food businesses the need for rigorous compliance with food safety and hygiene standards.”

Reilly said the FSAI and the inspectorate will not hold back in taking action against those food businesses that fail to comply with food safety legislation.

The FSAI said the most common violations related to hygiene, pest control, temperature control problems and cross contamination.

Businesses are given the opportunity to resolve violations pointed out in closure orders and go back to the FSAI for another inspection so they can reopen.

Earlier this month, Pygmalion on Dublin’s South William Street was served with a closure order for its preparation kitchen and keg room but the FSAI said the order was lifted yesterday evening.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (8)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel