NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a roundup of today’s news…
Nicole Collopy (left) and Helena Lawless from Ringsend College with Minister for Education Ruairi Quinn. Pic: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland
- Did you pick up your Leaving Certificate results today, Mark Berney from Wexford did and he got 9 A1s.
- Ireland’s Rob Heffernan won gold today, fast walking at the World Track and Field Championships.
- Did you know that the Eurozone’s recession has come to an end, that’s according to the Eurostat’s latest figures.
- Gardai are investigating after a garda sergeant was struck by a car and driven along on the bonnet in Waterford yesterday.
- Scientists from Trinity College made a breakthrough in the treatment of childhood cancer.
- Michaella McCollum Connolly and Melissa Reid’s court appearance has been delayed in Peru.
- Did you know that the Department of Finance spent €3.6 million on consultancy fees last year.
- An Irish film starring Pat Shortt and Fionnula Flanagan has been selected for the Toronto Film Festival.
- Mechanical issues forced a plane from Washington from London to make an emergency landing at Dublin Airport today.
- The French Government want Ryanair to clarify the treatment of their pilots following this week’s Channel 4 programme.
#INDIA Eighteen sailors are feared dead after their submarine exploded.
#EGYPT The Department of Foreign Affairs has advised Irish citizens to avoid all non-essential travel following an escalation of violence.
#UK British Labour Party leader Ed Miliband has been egged… for the second time.
#USA A plane crashed in Alabama, killing two crew.
- Artists have created a ‘not so subtle’ symbiosis suit that allows the suit wearer to grow food while they go about their daily business. [Mashable]
- A Leaving Certificate student wanted a convenient way to compare the CAO points required for courses across the country, so he created his own points checker. [Siliconrepublic]
This interactive Eurozone crisis timeline is an interesting (and less boring) way of viewing how the crisis played out in each European country. [The Guardian]