NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news.
- The first leaders’ debate of the 2016 general election takes place tonight and we’ve got a liveblog of all the action right here.
- Lucinda Creighton has called for the general election campaign to be suspended in the wake of alleged threats to journalists from criminal gangs.
- Gardaí have appealed for information following reports of several sexual assaults in the Co Dublin suburb of Shankill since December 2015.
- Tens of thousands of commuters faced disruption this morning as Luas workers began a two-day strike over pay. Here’s how to get around.
- A 28-year-old mother of three and her young children, who suffered “recurring respiratory illness” because of the state of their local authority home have been awarded damages against Dublin City Council.
- The body of missing woman Margaret (Mags) Berry has been discovered in Galway.
- A silent vigil is being held outside Government Buildings tonight following the death of Caoilte O’Broin – whose body was recovered from the river Liffey last month.
- A group of friends collected their €66 million EuroMillions jackpot win from the offices of the National Lottery today.
#ENGLAND: Adam Johnson has been sacked by Sunderland after admitting sexual activity with an underage girl.
#MEXICO: At least 52 inmates have been killed in prison brawl as prisoners fought with bats, sticks and blades and ignited a fire in the overcrowded penitentiary.
#GERMANY: A 94-year-old former Auschwitz guard has gone on trial today for complicity in the murders of tens of thousands of people at the Nazi concentration camp.
- The group trying to convince Ireland the ‘sharing economy’ is not a fad.
- In the lead up to Valentine’s day – here’s a list of the greatest romances in science fiction. [Geek.com]
If you didn’t manage to get tickets for Bruce today – it might be worth heading to the pub when he’s in the capital.
On his many journeys to Ireland Bruce Springsteen has made a habit of popping into some Dublin pubs for a pint.