uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 13 °C Sunday 20 May, 2018

IKEA warns of lamp 'strangulation hazard' after toddler death

The company has asked customers to go back to the store or call customer service to receive a free kit to fix the cord to the wall.

The SMILA lamp.
The SMILA lamp.
Image: IKEA

IKEA HAS TODAY issued a warning to parents who purchased a SMILA wall mounted lamp that the product may present a strangulation hazard to infants and young children.

The warning follows the tragic death in October of a toddler in Scotland who became tangled in the cord of the light fitting while in his cot.

All customers who purchased the SMILA lamp are being urged to check that the lamp and cord are out of the reach of children when in a cot or playpen.

“The cord must be securely fastened to the wall as loose lamp cords can present a strangulation hazard to infants and young children,” the company said in a statement.


IKEA asked customers to go to the exchanges and returns counters of their local stores or contact their customer service line to receive a repair kit free of charge. It contains a warning label, safety instructions and self adhesive fastners for fixing the lamp cord to the wall.

The company apologised for any inconvenience this may cause.

Read: IKEA recalls two kids’ beds due to ‘sharp metal edges’ that could wound>

Read: Ikea may still sell horsemeat tainted meatballs>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel


Trending Tags