This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 23 °C Sunday 22 July, 2018
Advertisement

Irish heading to Las Vegas urged to take 'high degree of caution' after mass shooting

Las Vegas is a popular place for Irish tourists.

Police officers advise people to take cover near the scene of a shooting.
Police officers advise people to take cover near the scene of a shooting.
Image: John Locher/PA

IRISH HOLIDAYMAKERS HAVE been urged to take “a high degree of caution” if travelling to Las Vegas in the wake of this morning’s mass shooting.

The Irish Travel Agents’ Association (ITAA) has issued advice to those who are booked to travel to Nevada in the coming days.

Cormac Meehan, president of the ITAA, said: “Our advice to Irish holidaymakers in Las Vegas or intending to travel to Las Vegas is to exercise a high degree of caution and to follow all the advice of the local authorities.

As always we urge people to download the Department of Foreign Affairs’ app, Travelwise, which is designed to help Irish citizens to stay safe and informed while travelling, living or working overseas.

Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney released a statement condemning the murders of at least 58 people.

He said: “This was a savage and brutal attack targeting innocent festival-goers.

“I wish to express my heartfelt condolences and those of the Irish people to the families of the victims, those who were injured and to the people and the authorities of the United States on this tragic day.”

He said that, as of now, he has no information to suggest that any Irish citizens have been affected.

He added: “I am conscious, however, that it will take time before all of the casualties are identified. My department, through our Consulate General in San Francisco and the Honorary Consulate in Las Vegas, is continuing to monitor the situation.”

Any families in Ireland who have concerns about relatives can contact the department’s Consular Assistance Unit on 01 4082527”.

Read: 58 killed and over 500 hospitalised in Las Vegas gun attack >

Read: Las Vegas mass shooting: What we know so far >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (25)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel