WHAT’S THE STORY?
1. TWO gardai, members of the Traffic Corps who were on motorbikes, were injured this morning in a crash with a car. They are being treated at Sligo General Hospital.
Source: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland
2. THE biggest study ever of its kind – of five million people in the UK – has confirmed a link between obesity and cancer. It claims that there are around 12,000 obesity-related cancers per year there.
Source: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland
3. BE careful what you bring into the gardai to have a look at. Trim Garda station in Co Meath had to be evacuated last night after a member of the public brought in a WWI/War of Independence-era artillery shell – and it turned out to be viable.
Source: Abulic Monkey/Flickr/Creative Commons
4. CARDINAL Seán Brady has proffered his resignation as Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland – as required under canon law as he turns 75 tomorrow. He is a controversial figure in the Irish Roman Catholic hierarchy since allegations emerged that he failed to protect children from paedophile priest Fr Brendan Smyth.
Source: Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland
5. FANCY a job getting the LOLs and ‘likes’ for Fianna Fáil? The party is trying to hire a dedicated social media officer – with the next general election in mind, no doubt.