NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news.
- An Irish woman was charged over the death of a newborn baby.
- FG says it will sort out the party’s accounts in Enda Kenny’s constituency.
- Yellow alert: it’s about to start lashing rain.
- The High Court has intervened in the Greyhound dispute.
- The NHS says it is not specifically looking for Irish blood.
- One of the deadliest types of jellyfish has been spotted in Dublin Bay.
- The government is backing the man behind Alan Shatter’s resignation.
- Gardaí are searching for a hit-and-run driver in Cork.
- Rory McIlroy has taken the lead at the PGA Championship at Valhalla.
#IRAQ: The US has launched an air strike against Islamic militants ISIS in Iraq. President Barack Obama said the US is trying to halt a potential “genocide“.
#GAZA: Israel has resumed air strikes on Gaza after militants fired rockets from Palestine as the fragile three day truce came to an end earlier today.
#ON TRIAL: The verdict in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial will be delivered on 11 September, Judge Thokozile Masipa has confirmed.
- Stephen King, John Grisham and 907 other authors have written an open letter to Amazon asking it to end a bitter publishing dispute which it says is hurting writers [New York Times]
- Google’s lawyers are having their busiest summer ever as the internet giant deals with headache after headache [Quartz]
Medyan Dairieh, a reporter with VICE News, has spent three weeks embedded with ISIS, the Islamic militant group which has taken over large parts of Iraq. This video, the first of a five-part documentary, shows the extraordinary access he had to the militants within the caliphate, and how things have changed significantly in Iraq. [Vice]Source: VICE News/YouTube