NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news.
- Monika Matracka was today charged with murder of Polish man Michal Rejmer whose body was found in a Limerick garden.
- Renualeader Lucinda Creighton said that there has been “an attempt to silence” any refugee policy beyond an ‘open door’ policy.
- Cold weather across the county and snow in Leinster has led to a number of roads being closed.
- The former master of the Rotunda Hospital said that there has been no increase in the number of women seeking an abortion due to a risk of suicide.
- Just over €2.5 million has been generated from the sale of 36 closed garda stations.
- Health Minister Leo Varadkar made some positive noises about the prospect of Renua joining Fine Gael in cabinet.
#DRUG LORD: It emerged that US actor Sean Penn secretly met with Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman for an interview before the drug kingpin’s capture.
#B-52: The US has flown a heavy bomber over South Korea in a show of force following North Korea’s nuclear test.
#INFANT EXAMS: All British parents will be encouraged to take government-run parenting classes under plans to be announced by Prime Minister David Cameron.
#POWERBALL: After last night’s record jackpot wasn’t won, the US Powerball lottery has risen to a whopping $1.3 billion (€1.19bn).
- You know those Facebook On This Day reminders? Here’s how to turn them off.
- A number of Tesla cars have just been given an update enabling them to park themselves without a driver inside.
- 1Rebel, the new gym/nightclub chain that’s taking London by storm.
On an American road trip, Stephen Marche enters the fray with Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders in Iowa and gets a view of the campaign trail from the perspective of his whiteness. (The Guardian)