NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news.
- A man was killed in a hit-and-run in Swords, a man was then arrested
- Two people died after a car crash in Cork
- The Labour Party got some good news in opinion polls
- It was revealed a woman was refused an abortion under new legislation [RTÉ]
- A man appeared in court charged with stealing an ATM with a digger
- Seventeen deadly jellyfish were removed from a Dublin beach
- Sectarian graffiti was daubed on two Catholic churches in the North
- Animals were stolen from a Kerry pet farm
- A man was recovering after ramming a barrier at a Dublin hospital while transporting a man who had been shot to the emergency department
- A woman in her 70s was injured in a house fire in Drogheda
#ESSEX DOCKS: A man has died after 31 illegal immigrants were found in a shipping container at an English docks. Reports say the migrants, some of whom are children, had arrived on a ship from Belgium.
#YAZIDI: Dozens of Yazidi villagers were slaughtered by the Islamic State in Iraq. The men were killed in the town of Kocho, 45 kilometres from the Kurdish town of Sinjar.
#FERGUSON: Violence returned to the streets of Ferguson, Missouri. Stores were looted after police said that an unarmed black teenager who was shot dead had been a suspect in an armed robbery.
- What are this week’s hottest apps? Click here and find out.
- These robots are working together and that is slightly terrifying but also very cool. [Geek.com]
The militarisation of the police in Ferguson, Missouri has turned attention to a Pentagon programme that gives police forces surplus weapons and equipment. This New York Times map lets you see just which police forces got grenade launchers, helicopters and night vision goggles.