WANT TO KNOW what’s going on in Leinster House today?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today.
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on:
- Leaders Questions will see Taoiseach Enda Kenny take to the Dáil floor at 12 noon.
- Remember yesterday when the Government was laying outs its Priorities for the Year Ahead? That resumes today at 10.45 am in the Dáil.
- The Ambassador of Ukraine to Ireland will speak about developments there to the Foreign Affairs and Trade committee at 3.30 pm.
Everything else happening in the Dáil:
- Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton will answer questions about her department at 9.30 am.
- The European Police College is temporarily moving to Budapest in Hungary. The college brings together senior police officers from around Europe and the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter will debate its regulation at 12.21 pm.
- Fianna Fáil’s Protection of Residential Mortgage Account Holders Bill, which aims to give statutory protection to mortgage holders whose mortgages have been sold on, will resume debate at 7.30 pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad:
- Minister of State for Training and Skills Ciarán Cannon faces Senators at 11.45am today to hear statements on the Reform of Further Education and Training and the Apprenticeship System.
- The Action Plan for Jobs 2014 will get some more airing in the Seanad today and will feature the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation Richard Bruton at 3 pm.
- In Private Members Business today from 5.30 pm, the Seanad will have a tw0-hour debate on a range of issues relating to the Protection of Children.
- Senators can then bring up any matter they like in Matters on the Adjournment to finish the day. An Cathaoirleach will chose four of those issues to be played out.
Everything else happening in the committees:
- The Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality are meeting in Room 2 at 10 am but its a Private Meeting, so we won’t be able to watch.
- Pension reform is on the agenda of the Education and Social Protection committee today with particular focus on the implications of the EU White Paper on Pensions. They’ll be joined by officials from the Department of Social Protection and union officials in Room 3 at 1 pm.
- Last week, the Financial Services Ombudsman Bill Prasifka named a number of financial institutions who’ve been complained about in 2013. At 2pm in Room 2, he’ll speak to TDs about his office’s 2013 annual review.
- The new Coimisinéir Teanga will meet the Public Service Oversight and Petitions Committee in Room 4 at 4pm along with Minister of State with special responsibility for Gaeltacht Affairs Dinny McGinley.
- Proposed changes to taxi and limousine regulation is the order of the evening for the Transport and Communications Committee from 9.30 am in Committee Room 4. No, taxi drivers won’t there, but members from the National Transport Authority will be.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >