WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- 2pm, Dáil: Charlie Flanagan will be fielding questions on matters related to the Department of Children with the recent mother and baby homes revelations no doubt likely to come up.
- 2.15pm, Committee Room 4: Officials from the Commission for Energy Regulation are in front of the Environment Committee to discuss how much they you’ll be paying for water when bills start coming in the letterbox.
- 3.15pm, Dáil: Time for the weekly round of the Taoiseach facing questions from the opposition and the chamber inevitably getting a bit shouty.
Everything else happening in the Dáil
- 3.36pm: After Leaders’ Questions, the Taoiseach takes a few more questions on matters related to his department and his not insignificant workload.
- 4.36pm: The Order of Business gets under way.
- 5.06pm: TDs will get a chance to raise a few Topical Issues with government ministers there to respond.
- 5.54pm: Bills to transfer all the functions of the Radiological Protection Institute to the Environmental Protection Agency and to revise laws on merchant shipping will be debated by ministers Phil Hogan and Leo Varadkar respectively.
- 7.30pm: Sinn Féin has the floor for Private Members’ Business this week and has a motion on mental health.
- 9pm: The Dail adjourns.
Everything happening in the Seanad
- 2.30pm: Senators kick off their week by discussing anything and everything during the Order of Business
- 3.45pm: The Protected Disclosures Bill i.e. whistleblowers legislation reaches its final stages in the upper house.
- 5pm: The government’s controversial housing bill begins its journey through the Seanad.
- 7.30pm: Ruairí Quinn’s bill to designate certain third level institutions as universities begins its legislative journey in the Seanad.
- Then it’s Matters on the Adjournment before senators themselves adjourn for the night.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- 1.30pm Room 2: TDs and Senators will be discussing how to support business growth and job creation in towns and villages with ISME and the New Generation Development group.
- 2pm, Room 3: TDs and senators begin the pre-legislative discussion on the Horse Racing Ireland Amendment Bill which is aimed at reforming the role and functions of the body responsible for horse racing in Ireland.
- 5pm, Room 1: Minister Fergus O’Dowd is in to discuss the NTMA Amendment Bill aimed at setting up a new Strategic Investment Fund that will be topped up with money from the nearly-defunct National Pension Reserve Fund.
- 5.15pm, Room 2: The Irish Pharmacy Union is in to discuss expanding the role of the pharmacy in Ireland.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today: