WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- Professor Ella Arensman, Director of Research with the National Suicide Research Foundation, and An Garda Síochána will address the Health Committee in Room 2 at 9.30 am. Their statements will be followed by contributions from a number of suicide awareness groups including Pieta House and Aware at 11.30 am.
- On Tuesday, Jobs Minister Richard Bruton denied the Gateway scheme was comparable to ‘slave sweat shops’. He’s up for further questioning at 9.30 am.
- After an eventful political week that saw Fine Gael’s director of elections Frank Flannery resign from a number of positions due to the ongoing Rehab controversy, today’s Leaders’ Questions will be worth a watch at 12 pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- Any gaelgoirí should tune in to Dáil at 10.45 am as Arts Minister Jimmy Deenihan will present his department’s 2020 Strategy on the Irish Language.
- Following this, the Government will continue to outline its priorities for the year ahead, much to the annoyance of the Opposition.
- The Order of Business will take place at 12.21 pm on issues yet to be finalised.
- Any unfinished business from the morning’s discussions will be continued from 12.41 pm.
- Topical Issues will be debated at 4.42 pm.
- The Dáil will adjourn at 5.30 pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad:
[The Seanad is not sitting today. Pic: Tumbleweed via gifbin.com]
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- The Public Accounts Committee will convene in Room 1 at 10 am to discuss the expenditure of the Justice Department and the State pathology building project. Rehab is also sure to come up.
- European Minister Pascal Donohue will address the EU Affairs Committee on the upcoming general affairs council meeting in Room 3 at 3 pm.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >