WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- 2 pm, Committee Room 3: The Drinks Industry Group of Ireland will come before the Agriculture Committee to discuss the importance of alcohol to the agricultural sector. Representatives from the Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers’ Association and Macra na Feirme will then make submissions on agri-taxation.
- 3.15 pm, Dáil: Fresh from his chat with Gay Byrne, Enda Kenny will have what’s likely to be a less pleasant conversation with the Opposition during Leaders’ Questions.
- 5.15 pm, Committee Room 2: Caroline Sloan, whose 14-year-old daughter Emma died on O’Connell Street last December after suffering an allergic reaction will make a submission to the Health Committee on the provision of EpiPens in public places. Dr Michael Byrne from the Irish Medicines Board will also attend.
Everything else happening in the Dáil
- 2 pm: Minister Frances Fizgerald will be answering questions related to the Department of Justice. Her predecessor probably won’t be making any speeches this week.
- 3.36 pm: The Taoiseach will answer questions related to his department.
- 4.36 pm: The Order of Business will be read.
- 5.06 pm: Four Topical Issues will be discussed where everything and anything could come up.
- Following this, three Bills we be debated:
- The Health Service Executive (Financial Matters) Bill 2013 is a technical piece of legislation that will see the HSE funded through the Office of the Minister for Health, as opposed to separately, which is currently the case.
- Focus will then turn to the government’s much-discussed Housing Bill that seeks to introduce a scheme where tenants can purchase local authority housing and revise how authorities can recover possession of a house if the occupants have seriously breached the tenancy agreement.
- The third Bill looks to provide for the development and promotion of forestry in line with the principles of sustainable forest management.
- 7.30 pm: Fianna Fáil will propose a motion that examines the beef sector in Ireland and makes a number of proposals including ensuring that “there are no barriers to the transport of live cattle to Britain directly from this State”.
- 9 pm: The Dáil will adjourn for the day.
Everything happening in the Seanad
- 2.30 pm: The Order of Business will be read.
- 3.45 pm: Health Minister James Reilly will come before the Seanad to discuss his plans to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes.
- Afterwards, Matters on the Adjournment will complete the day.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- 11 am, Room 4: Housing Minister Jan O’Sullivan will attend the committee’s meeting to discuss a Bill that looks to dissolve the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland (RPII) and transfer all of its functions, staff and assets to the Environmental Protection Agency.
- 1.30 pm, Room 2: The committee will debate a number of issues, including the reduction or elimination of customs duties on goods originating in Ukraine; trade within the EU; and measures to create jobs in town and village centres.
- At 3.30pm, the Irish Immigrant Support Centre will make a submission on the Employment Permits (Amendment) Bill 2014.
- 2 pm, Room 1: Professor Gail McElroy from the Department of Political Science at Trinity College and Suzanne Lynch, European Correspondent with the Irish Times, will address the committee on the outcome of last month’s European elections.
- 2.15 pm, Room 4: Yvonne McKenna, CEO of Volunteer Ireland, will discuss community development and volunteering with the committee.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here