WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- Embattled Justice Minister Alan Shatter will face questions related to his department at 2 pm today.
- As the Cabinet appears split on whether or not Garda Commisssioner Martin Callinan should withdraw his comments labelling the actions of whistleblowers “disgusting”, Taoiseach Enda Kenny is sure to be asked his opinion on the matter yet again in Leaders’ Questions at 3.15 pm.
- Representatives from Alcohol Action Ireland will address the Justice Committee on possible solutions to public order offences due to alcohol in Room 4 at 12 pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- Taoiseach Enda Kenny is scheduled to face a grilling on matters relating to his department for an hour from 3.36 pm.
- Following the Order of Business, Topical Issues will be discussed from 5.06 pm. After this, the Companies Bill 2012 will go through the Report and Final Stages.
- The Technical Group will put forward the Restorative Justice (Reparation of Victims) Bill 2013 during Private Members Business at 7.30 pm. The Bill is seeking to introduce a requirement for offenders to make reparation to victims of crime.
- The Dáil will adjourn at 9 pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad
[The Seanad is not sitting until tomorrow. Pic: Tumbleweed via gifbin.com]
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- Representatives from the Irish Farmers’ Association, Bord Bia, Teagasc and the Livestock Exporters Association will address the Agriculture Committee in Room 3 from 2 pm on issues including single farm payments and barriers to the free trade of livestock between Ireland and the UK.
- The Environment Committee will be debating EU legislative proposals on air pollution in Room 4 at 2.15 pm. Following this, they will hear from Waterways Ireland and the Heritage Boat Association on canal by-laws and the future of heritage vessel Naomh Éanna.
- The Jobs Committee will discuss EU proposals on trade secrets in Room 2 at 1.30 pm, before hearing statements from InterTrade Ireland on access to finance for growth of SMEs.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >