THEY’RE BACK! SO, what’s going on in Leinster House on their return from the holidays?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 thing we’ll be keeping an eye on
- Dáil: Leaders’ Questions — Taoiseach Enda Kenny will take part in this usually heated exchange – the first of 2014 – at 4.30pm.
- Committees: Irish Water - Following revelations about Irish Water spending €86 million on consultants, contractors and legal fees, Irish Water’s CEO John Tierney will be in attendance at the Public Accounts Committee to account for their finances at 6.30pm in Room 2.
- Dáil: Irish Water – Fianna Fáil’s Private Members Business in relation to Irish Water criticises the complete “lack of transparency” in the establishment of Irish Water. This will kick off at 7.30pm with the government indicating that it will be brought under Freedom of Information.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- The Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore will take questions at 2.30pm.
- What four issues will be raised today during Topical Issues?
- The Order of Business will be taken at 4.54pm followed by post European Council statements at 5.24pm.
- The Dáil will hear orders for the report stages of the Road Traffic (No.2) Bill 2013 and second stage of the Betting Amendment Bill at 5.24pm.
- The Dáil adjourns at 9.00pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Seanad
- Senators start the day by discussing anything and everything on the Order of Business from 2.30pm.
- The Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government Phil Hogan will address the Local Government Reform Bill 2013 as it reaches its final stage in the Seanad at 3.45pm.
- Then it’s Matters on the Adjournment before the Seanad itself adjourns at 9pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- A day after launching the new public service reform plans, Minister Brendan Howlin will be in in front of the Select Committee on Public Expenditure and Reform to discuss revised estimates for public services for 2014 at 4.30pm in Room 2. The Minister for Finance Michael Noonan will be discussing the same matter in front of the Finance Committee in Room 4 at 2pm.
- Representatives from SIPTU will be in front of the Joint Committee on Transport and Communications in Room 4 at 11.30am to discuss the implications of the proposed competitive tendering of 10 per cent of routes currently operated by Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus.
- Representatives from the Irish timber industry will attend the Joint Committee on Agriculture, Food and the Marine in Room 1 at 12 noon to discuss the Forestry Bill 2013 which aims to provide for the development and promotion of forestry.
- Staff from Loreto Education Centre in Dublin and Coláiste Chiaráin in Croom, Limerick will attend the Joint Committee on Education and Social Protection in Room 3 at 1pm to discuss the Admission to Schools Bill.
- Minister for Justice and Equality Alan Shatter will be discussing the Legal Services Regulation Bill in front of the Joint Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality at 10am in Room 2 which will look at making legal costs more transparent and ensure adequate procedures for addressing consumer complaints.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a Bill become a law?