WANT TO KNOW what’s going on in Leinster House today?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
4 things will keeping an eye on
- Dáil: Leaders’ Questions – Taoiseach Enda Kenny will get a grilling from the leaders of the Opposition at 12 noon.
- Dáil: Charities – Sinn Féin’s Private Member’s Bill on the Charities (Amendment) Bill 2014 is sure to throw up some questions about the transparency of charitable organisations in light of the CRC controversy. This is at 7.30pm.
- Seanad: Irish Water – The Minister of State for the NewEra Project Fergus O’Dowd will be in the Seanad to hear statements on Irish Water at 11.45am.
- Committees: Poolbeg Incinerator – Mr Owen Keegan, City Manager of Dublin City Council will be in front of the Environment, Culture and the Gaeltacht in Room 4 at 2.15pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- The Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin will be answering questions at 9.30am.
- At 10.45am and 2.40pm discussions will surround The Local Government Reform Bill 2013 which is back in the Dáil following amendments from the Seanad.
- The Order of Business will be taken at 12.21pm.
- This is followed by Topical Issues at 12.51pm.
- The ESB (Electronic Communications Networks) Bill 2013 – which enables ESB to engage in electronic communications networks and electronic communications services - reaches it second stage at 2.40pm.
- The Dáil adjourns at 5.30pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Seanad
- Senators start the day by discussing anything and everything on the Order of Business from 10.30am.
- At 2pm the Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Simon Coveney will be in the Seanad to hear statements on the Common Agricultural Policy and Rural Development Programme.
- Private Members Business on the recognition of the Irish Sign Language for the Deaf Community Bill 2013 will be raised by Senators Mark Daly, Thomas Byrne, Labhrás Ó Murchú at 4pm then it’s Matters on the Adjournment at 6pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- The Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn will be in front of the Education and Skills Sub-Committee in Room 3 at 1pm to discuss the Revised Estimates for Public Services.
- Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore and Minister Joe Costello will be at Foreign Affairs and Trade Committee in Room 1 at 2.30pm to discuss the Revised Estimates for Public Services.
- Minister for Justice Alan Shatter will be discussing the Fines (Payment and Recovery) Bill 2013 – which looks at imposing community service to those convicted of crimes but who do not have the finances to pay the imposed fine. This is in Room 2 at 10am.
- A private meeting of the Public Accounts meeting is being held at 6pm in Room 1.
- Private and public petitions will be discussed from 4pm at the Public Service Oversight and Petitions Committee in Room 3.
- Representatives from the National Transport Authority will attend the Transport and Communications Committee at 9.30am in Room 4 where the implications of the proposed competitive tendering of 10 per cent of routes currently operated by Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus will be discussed.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a Bill become a law?