WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- 2pm: The Finance Minister Michael Noonan takes questions on issues like protection for insurance customers and the mooted early wind-up of NAMA.
- 3.15pm: How will the parties deal with the fallout from the local and European elections in the Dáil’s set piece event of the day, Leaders’ Questions?
- 7.30pm: Mick Wallace brings forward a bill aimed at strengthening the Garda Ombudsman, GSOC, as well setting up a new Garda Siochana Independent. Board. It’s likely the government will oppose this private members’ business and argue it is already bringing forward its own reforms.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- 3.36pm: TDs have a chance to quiz the government on forthcoming legislation and probably any other matters that take their fancy during the Order of Business.
- At 4.06pm it is Topical Issues.
- A bill to strengthen the rights of foreign nationals in employment disputes will be moved after Topical Issues.
- The Dáil will adjourn at 9pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad
- Senators discuss everything and anything – and expect some of that to focus on the elections – during the Order of Business at 2.30pm.
- The bill to transfer shares and lands connected to Shannon Airport from the government to the new Shannon Group will be debated at Committee Stage with Transport Minister Leo Varadkar at 3.45pm.
- Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald brings the DNA Database Bill through second stage in the upper house at 5.30pm.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- The EU Affairs committee with get an update on the negotiations for an EU-US trade deal – known as TTIP – from the Jobs Minister Richard Bruton in Committee Room 1 at 2pm.
- The Jobs Committee will hold another round of hearings on access to finance for SMEs at 1.30pm with the Irish Venture Capital Association. Forfás is also due in to discuss how to prevent people from carrying out undeclared work.
- After that, Chartered Accountants Ireland and Christian Aid Ireland will talk to the sub-committee on global taxation about Ireland’s corporate tax system and that of other countries at 4pm in Room 1.
- The Health Committee hears from the Irish Medical Organisation on its ;Help us to Help More Campaign’ at 5.15pm in Room 2.
- The Irish Language sub-committee will be holding hearings all-day on the Official Languages Bill with universities, and officials from the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht due before TDs and Senators.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >