WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- The Dáil will spend the morning debating ‘matters relating to An Garda Siochána’ with the revelations over the last 24 hours due to be the subject of a statement from Alan Shatter at 10.45am
- Leaders Questions at 12 pm will be one to watch again today.
- After Topical Issues at 3.16pm the Dáil will spend up until 9.30pm tonight debating the Garda Inspectorate report on penalty points.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney will face questions relating to his department at 9.30 am.
- The Order of Business will be read at 12.21 pm, followed by Post European Council Statements at 12.51 pm.
- During Private Members Business at 9.30 pm, the Technical Group will put forward a bill that would introduce a requirement for offenders to make reparation for injury suffered by their victims.
- The Dáil will adjourn at 11pm.
Everything happening in the Seanad
- The Order of Business will run for about 75 minutes where everything and anything will be discussed from 10.30 am. We can guess what senators might want to discuss…
- Tributes will be paid to former Senator James Mulroy at 11.45 am.
- Private Members Business at 12.30 pm will focus on beef prices and regulation, a proposal which will be opposed by government.
- Matters on the Adjournment at 2.30 pm will close out the day’s events in the Seanad.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- Representatives from RTÉ will address the Communications Committee in Room 4 at 9.30 am. Will Pantigate come up?
- Representatives from Irish Small and Medium Enterprises, the Small Firms Association and the Self Employed Alliance will address the Social Protection Committee in Room 3 at 1 pm on social welfare payment entitlements for the self-employed.
- Dr Michalis Stavrinos, the Cyprian Ambassador to Ireland, will make a statement to the Foreign Affairs Committee in Room 1 at 2.30 pm about the future of Cyprus.
- The Finance Committee will debate the Central Bank Bill 2014 in Room 4 at 3.30 pm.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today:
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a bill become a law? >