WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- Dáil: Leaders’ Questions – With the Taoiseach still away it falls to the Tánaiste or perhaps some other minister to take questions from the opposition at midday.
- Committees: Fiscal Assessment – The Finance Committee gets fiscal with members of the Fiscal Advisory Council in Room 2 from 2pm where it discusses the council’s latest report on Ireland’s economic and budgetary strategy for the years ahead.
- Committees: Tobacco packaging – James Reilly’s war on tobacco reaches the Health Committee in Room 2 at 9.30am as he discusses his proposed bill to standardise tobacco packaging along with the chief medical officer Tony Holohan.
Everything else that’s happening in the Dáil
- Environment Minister Phil Hogan takes questions on his portfolio in the first business of the day at 9.30am.
- At 10.45am, TDs continue discussions on amendments to the Finance Bill – which enshrines all the Budget measures – as report and final stages of the bill continue.
- After Leaders’ Questions, TDs get down to the Order of Business.
- After that’s finished, debate on the Finance Bill, if not already concluded, continues before the Credit Reporting Bill and the Social Welfare and Pensions Bill are dealt with.
- At 7pm, or before that if the afternoon’s business has concluded, TDs debate Topical Issues before the Dáil adjourns for the day.
Everything else that’s happening the Seanad
- Senators get down to the Order of Business at 10.30am.
- Then its the report and final stages of the bill which sets up the new Child and Family Agency from 11.45am.
- After lunch there is discussion on the second stage of the Health Alteration of Criteria for Eligibility Bill which changes the criteria for medical card and health insurance eligibility.
- Then it’s Matters on the Adjournment before the Dáil itself adjourns.
Everything else that’s happening in the Committees
- The Environment Committee continues debate on the Local Government Bill from 10am in Room 1 although they may have to wait for the Minister, Phil Hogan, who will be answering questions in the Dáil until 10.45am.
- The Health Committee starts its day in Room 2 at 9.30am when it will focus on HIV/AIDS strategy with submissions due from the Department of Health, the HSE, the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network, Dublin AIDS Alliance, Gay Health Network and Positive Now.
- The miscellaneous provisions of the Companies Bill are discussed in Room 4 at 10.30am with the junior minister Sean Sherlock.
- The Transport Committee meets in Room 4 at 12.30pm to figure out how to develop a competitive and sustainable tourism industry with Peter Hynes and Joanne Grehan from Mayo County Council, John James O’Hara from Pure Irish Life Tours in Co Leitrim, and tourism industry analyst Jerome Casey.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a Bill become a law?