WHAT’S GOING ON in Leinster House?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
3 things we’ll be keeping an eye on
- Midday:Leader’s Questions: Enda Kenny deals with the usual round of questions, queries, accusations and derisory observations from the opposition. Given today’s delay in announcing the much-anticipated Cabinet reshuffle, it should be an interesting afternoon’s session.
- 2pm: Setanta Insurance: The members of the Finance Committee will grill officials from the Central Bank of Ireland and the Department of Finance on the collapse of Setanta, which went into liquidation in April — leaving some 75,000 Irish customers in the lurch.
- 4pm: Secrecy: Why are the Central Bank so secretive? The petitions committee will be hearing from a private citizen with concerns over transparency in the management of the country’s financial system… Alan Jackman sent in a petition in relation to the secrecy provisions in Central Bank legislation.
Everything else happening in the Dáil
- Work is continuing on three pieces of legislation this morning: The Friendly Societies and Industrial and Provident Societies (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2013, the State Airports (Shannon Group) Bill 2014, and the Forestry Bill 2013.
- After Leader’s Questions its Order of Business time.
- Then lunch…
- 1.51pm: Back in the chamber, it’s Topical Issues straight away after the break — whereby TDs from Government and opposition benches quiz relevant ministers on issues of concern to their constituents and the country in general. Don’t be surprised if the hot topic of Garth Brooks comes up today.
- 7.30pm: Fianna Fáil’s motion on the Free Travel pass continues.
Everything happening in the Seanad
- Garth Brooks has already been mentioned once or twice in the upper chamber today — where business is already under way.
- For the rest of the day, members will be working on four pieces of legislation: the Social Welfare and Pensions Bill, the Employment Permits (Amendment) Bill, the Health (General Practitioner Service) Bill, and the Radiological Protection (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill.
- This evening at 6pm there’s a private members motion concerning the Environmental Protection Agency.
Everything else happening in the committees
It’s a busy day in the committee rooms, with ten committees or sub-committees meeting.
Here’s the schedule…
- 9.30am Justice, Defence & Equality (Private meeting)
- 9.30am Transport and Communications
- 9.45am Banking Inquiry (Private meeting)
- 10am Administration Joint Sub Committee (Private meeting)
- 1pm Education and Social Protection
- 1pm European Scrutiny – Finance and Public Expenditure (Joint Sub Committee)
- 2pm Finance, Public Expenditure and Reform
- 2.30pm Foreign Affairs and Trade
- 4pm Public Service Oversight and Petitions
- 6pm Finance (Sub Committee)
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today: