A MAJOR FIRE at the Panda recycling plant in Co Meath has been extinguished after burning for more than three days.
Fire crews closed down the operation at 4.30am this morning, having been battling the blaze at the plant at Beauparc, south of Slane, since Wednesday night when it first broke out.
A spokesperson for Meath County Council told TheJournal.ie that emergency workers were confident from late afternoon yesterday that the fire was under control.
They had previously begun removing the smouldering waste from the plant in order to put it out. The waste was compacted, making the fire difficult to fully extinguish, the spokesperson said.
Smoke warnings for local residents – who had been asked to keep their doors and windows closed – have now been lifted
At one stage there were fears that water in the area could become contaminated by run-off from the fire, which is understood to have caused significant damage at the plant.
However, water courses were sealed off on Thursday night and there is now no risk to local supply.
Meath County Council will not be carrying out an investigation into the fire, the spokesperson said, adding that that was a matter for Panda.