TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 3 °C Monday 24 November, 2014

Red line Luas back to normal after fire disruption

The line had been partly closed for seven days following an extensive fire in Dublin’s city centre.

The scene at Benburb Street at 8am today
The scene at Benburb Street at 8am today
Image: Luas.ie

Updated 16:10

SERVICES ON THE red line of the Luas have fully resumed after being disrupted for seven days by an extensive fire beside tram tracks in Dublin’s city centre.

Trams had been running as far as Heuston Station from Tallaght and Saggart as repair works were carried out on derelict buildings on Benburb Street.

The overhead lines on Benburb Street had to be switched off after the fire at the unused building caused extensive damage.

The company that operates the Luas said this afternoon that a full service had resumed at 4pm today, adding:

Luas would like to thank all customers for their patience and co-operation during the recent Red Line service disruption. We are truly delighted to run a full line service again.

The affected buildings were found to be structurally unstable as a result of the fire and Dublin City Council has been carrying out repair work over the past week.

Dublin City Council said this afternoon that work on the damaged buildings has progressed to a point where the overhead power lines could be turned back on.

Eight units of the Dublin Fire Service attended the scene of the fire on Benburb Street on Patrick’s Day.

Any passengers planning to travel on the red line of the Luas can get updates from the Luas website and Twitter feed.

TD calls for more security on the Luas Red Line >

Survey: More people cycling and taking Luas to work in Dublin >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (6 Comments)

Add New Comment