TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 13 °C Thursday 19 October, 2017
Advertisement

Red Rock cast 'extremely disappointed' after TV3 postpones production

TV3 currently has 23 episodes of Red Rock shot and ready to air and will be debuting them in the new year.

The cast of red Rock.
The cast of red Rock.
Image: TV3

ACTORS AND FANS of TV3 series Red Rock have reacted with dismay after the station said that it would be postponing production on a new series.

Despite the series featuring as part of TV3′s new season line-up which was launched today, there are currently no new episodes scheduled for production.

TV3 currently has 23 episodes of Red Rock shot and ready to air and will be debuting them in the new year.

The popular soap opera – produced by Element Pictures - first appeared on Irish screens in 2015. It has since been picked up in the UK by the BBC and by the Amazon Prime streaming service.

It was won a number of awards and is popular with fans, with more than one million viewers tuning into the show’s debut on the BBC last year.

A spokesperson for TV3 confirmed that production had been postponed and that a decision would be made on the future of the series next year.

Irish Equity – a union which represents actors, theatre directors and set designers – said that the postponement of the show was a “blow to the TV industry in Ireland”.

“We have an abundance of talented and experienced cast and crew but there are just not enough TV productions to reflect this,” said Irish Equity president Padraig Murray.

It’s hard to fathom why TV3 would make this decision.

Murray said he believed that a few episodes will be shot of Red Rock later this year in order to tie up loose ends before production stops indefinitely.

Organiser Karan O Loughlin said the cast of the show were disappointed with the decision and called on TV3 to reconsider.

“The cast of Red Rock are extremely disappointed at this situation. The development of this show was a good initiative by TV3 to which the cast were very committed,” she said.

In a statement released through its Twitter account, the Red Rock team said they were determined to get the show back on the air.

“We’ve got a lot more stories we want to tell you from this Dublin seaside town and we’re determined to keep telling them,” they said.

“Subject to confirmation”

In a statement, a spokesperson for TV3 said:

“Red Rock will be returning to TV3 in January – with 23 episodes to be played out over the year.

“Due to this scheduling plan and the imminent development of the John Player site [where the series is shot], future production plans on Red Rock regarding filming and location will be subject to confirmation early next year.

In looking at our content pipeline we have to cut our cloth depending on the needs of our schedule. TV3 will broadcast three drama series in 2018 – the most drama ever for the broadcaster.

Red Rock is set in the fictional sea side town of the same name in Dublin.

It is based around the town’s garda station and the battles between two feuding families.

Read: Red Rock roars to the top of the 2016 IFTA TV Awards

Read: More than 1 million British viewers watch Red Rock debut on the BBC

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel