TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 17 °C Thursday 19 April, 2018
Advertisement

Man who was extradited from Spain to face sex assault charges fails to appear in court

The man had been escorted by gardaí back to Ireland from Spain last year to face charges – now they are trying to establish his whereabouts again.

Image: Sasko Lazarov/Rollingnews.ie

A MAN WHO was charged with sexual assault after being extradited to Ireland from Spain failed to appear in court last week and a warrant for his arrest has now been issued.

The man, who can not be named for legal reasons, was charged last year with a sexual assault against one victim, which is alleged to have occurred more than 20 years ago. He had been questioned last year by gardaí in Spain, where he had been living, and escorted back to Ireland last April to face charges.

In 2016, his solicitor Kieran Conway told the court that his client denied all charges.

Gardaí had opposed his bail at the time “due to the seriousness of the charge” and because they said he posed a flight risk. The solicitor had argued that gardaí were already in possession of the man’s passport, telling the court he “can’t go anywhere”.

The man’s wife, from whom he is separated, posted his bail of €10,000 and told the court last April that he could stay with her.

On 26 June this year, the man was due back in the Criminal Courts of Justice in Dublin, but he failed to appear in court.

His solicitor confirmed to TheJournal.ie that his client did not turn up for court last week and that a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.

Gardaí are now trying to establish the man’s whereabouts.

Comments are closed on this article for legal reasons. 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS