EACH WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you five news stories that you really should check out before 5pm.
1. #HYPE Transport minister Leo Varadkar has said that the Sunday Times “hyped up” his comments about the possibility of Ireland needed another bailout. He was also reported as saying that Ireland may have difficulty getting back into the bond markets. A top British banker has said meanwhile that Ireland will not be able to return to the markets until 2018 under present conditions.
2. #ASSAULT A man is at large after assaulting a woman in the Clondalkin area on Monday in broad daylight. The woman in her 20s was treated in hospital after she was attacked in Ballymount Park at 11.45am. Gardaí say reports of other attacks in the area are not true.
3. #HANG UP Sligo-North Leitrim TD John Perry has admitted to hanging up during a radio interview on Ocean FM. The Minister for Small Businesses got into a heated discussion with presenter Niall Delaney when he was questioned about the restoration of cancer services to Sligo General Hospital, which was promised within the first 100 days of the new government.
4. #E.COLI The World Heath Organisation says that the deadly E.Coli outbreak in Germany has been caused by a new strain. It’s warned that the outbreak could last months. Eighteen people have now died in Germany. German officials have warned against eating lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers.
5. #DRY YOUR EYES MATE Enda Kenny has admitted that watching Riverdance gives him a lump in his throat. The Taoiseach says he “actually cries”, because the performance is so powerful.