EVERY WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you five stories you really should look at before you head for the door at 5pm…
1. #WIKILEAKS: A new batch of leaked US embassy cables has shown that the Bush administration was concerned by the activities of a Dublin-based Muslim think tank, and asked the US embassy here to check out if the association was trying to introduce Sharia law.
2. #SEANAD: Bad news for Micheal Martin – the Fianna Fail members on one panel who are running in the Seanad elections without his leadership backing are doing better as a group and scooping two-thirds of the party’s vote away from its ‘official’ candidate. As votes close for most of the Seanad’s seats today, check out our bluffer’s guide to the Seanad election count.
3. #JOBSWATCH: Good news for jobseekers in Galway, Dublin and Laois where almost 200 jobs in total will be created by three separate companies. But is it an employer’s market out there? One restaurant owner in Dingle has been looking for kitchen staff for two weeks – and is yet to receive a single CV.
4. #ASH CLOUD: The eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland caused more headaches than just those of spelling and pronunciation. Travellers left stranded by the ash cloud created by the eruption have been reassured by a new report today which concludes that aviation authorities made the right decision in cancelling and suspending flights for reasons of safety.
5. #LIGHT UP: Before the year is out, Ireland will have hosted the Dalai Lama, Barack Obama and Queen Elizabeth II. Another, much more venerably old guest, may be expected next summer – reports are rife today that the Olympic torch will make a detour to Ireland on its way to start the London 2012 Games.