EVERY WEEKDAY evening, TheJournal.ie brings you the five things you need to know by 5pm.
1. #PRESIDENT HIGGINS: Michael D Higgins was inaugurated as the ninth President of Ireland this afternoon. Irish dignitaries were out in force to hear his impressive inaugural speech in which he promised to be a President for “all of the Irish at home and abroad”. Paying tribute to Higgins, An Taoiseach Enda Kenny said he will bring a “nobility of heart and mind and spirit” to the office.
2. #BANKRUPT: At one time he was Ireland’s richest man but this morning, Seán Quinn was declared bankrupt at the High Court in Belfast. The businessman remains locked in a legal battle with Anglo Irish Bank which, he claims, has “consistently ignored its own wrongdoing in affairs”.
3. #BALLYMUN: The Government has made €4.6 million in funding available so 25 new homes can be built in Ballymun to allow for more de-tenanting of the original tower flats.
4. #PUPPIES: A new bill targeting puppy farms will be enacted shortly to ensure dogs are not being bred in unsuitable conditions. The Government has said the new legislation will be a significant step forward for animal welfare, ensuring higher standards in breeding and outlawing current cruel practices.
5. #PENGUIN FRIDAY: Last week it was donkeys but today it is the turn of the penguin. Following a persuasive reader’s request, Hugh O’Connell has been hard at work collecting 18 of the happiest penguin snaps he could find. Here is this week’s “because it’s Friday” slideshow for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!