EACH WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you five things you need to know before you head out the door.
1. #JAILED: The son and nephew of bankrupt businessman Seann Quinn, Sean Quinn Junior and Peter Darragh Quinn, have each been jailed for three months for contempt of court.
The men had been ordered to reverse the steps they had taken to put €500 million assets out of the reach of the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC), formerly Anglo Irish Bank. Lawyers for IBRC have reportedly told the court that the three men seemed to be willing to go to jail for a short time in order to hang onto the assests.
2. #COLORADO: The man who opened fire at a cinema theatre in Colorado late last night has been named as 24-year-old James Holmes.
Twelve people were killed and 38 people – including a three-month-old baby – were injured after Holmes, who is understood to be a local resident, walked into the theatre during a screening of The Dark Knight Rises, threw cannisters of tear gas into the crowd and opened fire. Police have also evacuated Holmes’ apartment building over suspicions he may have stored explosives there.
3. #IMF: A top economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has retired from his post after 20 years, saying that he was “ashamed to have had any association with the Fund at all.” Peter Doyle, a former adviser to the department that runs Ireland’s bailout programme, said in his resignation letter that the institution’s lack of decisive action had left the euro “on the brink”.
4. #MICROSOFT: Computing giant Microsoft has made its first loss since joining the stock market in 1986 - declaring its on-line ad business bust.
The software company made a $492m loss in the April to June quarter, after warning two weeks ago that it would wipe out the 2007 purchase of online ad service aQuantive for $6.3bn.
5. #GAFF FORCE ONE: If you’re apartment-hunting on New York’s Upper West Side any time soon, you might want to check out this two-bedder on West 109 Street.
Yes, we admit it’s “cosy”, but what it lacks in space it more than make up for in history – being the student flat of none other than US President Barack Obama.