EVERY WEEKDAY evening,TheJournal.ie brings you the five things you need to know by 5pm.
1. #GREECE: A deal has been reached by Greek political leaders on the latest round of austerity measures – paving the way for the country to receive a second bailout of €130bn.
2. #CORRIB: The State has spent over €14.5m on the Garda presence at the controversial Shell refinery project in Mayo over the last five years. This figure does not include the basic salaries for gardai on duty at the site.
3. #MEMORIES: Exactly one year ago today, Leo Varadkar made his infamous “not another cent” comments in relation to bondholders. Well, he was fighting a general election campaign at the time. Today, Enda Kenny has said that Ireland will not impose losses on bondholders: “We’ll pay our dues in full and on time”.
4. #TONY HUMPHREYS: The Psychological Society of Ireland has said that an article by clinical psychologist Tony Humphreys in the Irish Examiner in relation to autism spectrum disorders was “not supported by the vast body of research” and should be retracted.
5. #KATHLEEN LYNCH: Remember the trouble Enda Kenny got into at the Elect More Women conference for referring to Equality junior minister Kathleen Lynch’s “flaming red hair”? The New York Times has published an article on gender balance in Irish politics – but has also decided to make special note of Lynch’s “brilliant blue eyes and dark red hair”.
Thanks to @athtrasna for her excellent 5 at 5, taken on holidays in the US last year. If you have a ’9′ or ’5′ pic you’d like to see featured in our 9 at 9 or 5 at 5, we’d like to see it. Email images to email@example.com