EVERY WEEKDAY evening, TheJournal.ie brings you the five things you need to know at 5pm.
1. #WALLACE: Wexford TD Mick Wallace is set to make a personal statement in the Dáil shortly this evening concerning his tax affairs. Wallace is due to speak for a limited time at the end of Dáil business at 5.45pm.
2. #AIB: AIB has informed staff that pay cuts for top staff, a staff salary freeze until the end of 2014 and changes to the employee pension scheme are being planned.
3. #RESCUED: A man who got into difficulty on the water in Co Cork last weekend was rescued after being accidentally spotted by a man using a telescope in Crosshaven who raised the alarm.
4. #EUROZONE: Spain’s borrowing costs hit an EU-era record high today just one day after ratings agency Moody’s announced it was downgrading the country’s sovereign credit rating by three notches – to within just one notch of ‘junk’ status. Meanwhile, Mooody’s downgraded Cyprus by two notches today and has put that rating on review for further possible downgrade.
5. #PIZZA MACHINE: A new vending machine in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin is offering made-to-order pizzas. The Let’s Pizza machine not only mixes the dough and kneads it before your eyes, it then puts on the sauce and topping before baking in an infra-red oven.