EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine things you need to know as you start your day.
1. #CORK: A seven-year-old boy, who fell into the Owenacurra river in Midleton, Co Cork on Saturday evening, has died from his injuries. He had been receiving treatment in Our Lady’s Hospital Crumlin. The boy has been named locally as James Casey-Butler.
2. #CYPRUS: Cyprus has avoided bankruptcy by securing a last-minute €10 billion bailout. The country promises to sharply cut back its oversized banking sector and make large bank account holders take losses to help pay much of the bill.
3. #GARDA: Justice Minister Alan Shatter is due to address delegates at the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI) conference today in Sligo. The meeting is set to focus on cuts to garda pay as a result of Croke Park II. According to RTÉ News, the AGSI also want an independent body to carry out a cost benefit analysis on the Government’s policing policies.
4. #PHARMACY: Some pharmacies are charging double for the same drugs, according to the National Consumer Agency. The largest price variation was for a common drug used to treat stomach ulcers with prices ranging from €22.43 to €49.69.
5. #PHONE RECORDS: Gardaí will be granted access to the mobile phone records of motorists who have crashed to see if they were using their phone at the time. According to the Irish Independent, it is part of around 140 recommendations contained in a new strategy document to improve driver safety.
6. #JILL MEAGHER: Adrian Ernest Bayley appeared via video-link at Victorian Supreme Court earlier to hear that 30 September will be the date that he will stand trial for the murder and rape of Louth woman, Jill Meagher.
7. #NO ELECTRICITY: Around 950 people in Northern Ireland are still without power this morning following severe weather conditions on Thursday night. Northern Ireland Electricity have said emergency crews and engineers worked through the night to rectify the situation. Over 140,000 customers have been affected by the outages over the weekend.
8. #ASYLUM: Two people died, including a young child, and two more were seriously hurt after an asylum-seeker boat capsized off Australia. More than 90 people were rescued from the overloaded Indonesian fishing boat and were taken to the immigration facility on Christmas Island.
9. #REINCARNATED KIDS: Kids who believe they have lived past lives are being sought after by a Los Angeles production company for a new reality show, according to the Huffington Post. A casting call has been opened for the show, “Ghost Inside My Child’, scheduled to air on the Bio Channel later this year.
- Over on TheDailyEdge.ie: Britney Spears’ high school yearbook, and Jared Leto gets a severed ear in an envelope. It’s The Dredge…